Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can’t figure it out. So he’s is an 8 year old beagle. Few…

Customer Question
Can’t figure it out...

Can’t figure it out. So he’s is an 8 year old beagle. Few weeks ago we started to notice these weird kinds of episodes. Bailey would look a little out of it..make a strange kinda moan noise, walk around slowly like and stare at me. During these episodes he will not take food which is really strange for him. They last for about an hour then he seems to sleep it off for a good long nap. When he wakes up he fine again eats plays .. he has been having them a few times a week. He just had all his shots, stool sample, and check up. I was reading about bloat but the symptoms don’t match up. During his episodes he looks like he is in pain but he makes like a muffled moo sound. No diarrhea no vomit. So weird, but he looks so sad when it happens.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the beagle?

He is happy and loves to eat. Just seems so out of it when this happens ,..won’t eat, just stands there and makes this weird noise so I get him to lie on his bed when he wakes up after about an hour he is fine again. Don’t lnow

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question bout Bailey. Is he having any vomiting at any time? Any new foods or treats here in the past few weeks? Could he be chewing on some things / plants? Is he urinating normally?

None of the above and he is not a chewer
None of the above

Alright. In a situation like this, the best thing that I can suggest to help get to the bottom of this is to try and take some videos of what you're seeing. IF you can capture a few of these events and then have your vet view them, that may give them a good chance to isolate the issue. Honestly, what you're describing kind of sounds like GI distress / discomfort that I see cases at my ER when dogs are eating things that just don't sit well. Some are sneaking some human food or getting into the garbage. Some are getting new treats or eating plants. Some are getting into the cat food. What ever it is they are getting into, it just gives them a little upset stomach and it causes them to be off. Could it be a short duration of discomfort from a back issue? That would be another rule otu.

I was thinking about back pain because the first time he did it the night before he was running around up and Down the stairs with a toy. But would back pain just come and go. So like a few hours later he’s running around
I have it on video ..

Sometimes it can come and go depending on the degree of severity and how it flares up. Typically though it is more persistent. The GI issue would be a bigger suspicion. Can you post the video on youtube for me to view it?

Not sure I know how to do that can I email it

To be honest, I'm not sure how to post on youtube either! I have never done it. I can't receive personal emails here. What seems to be the best option is to show it to your vet and have them view it and to also be able to do a good physical exam on him to see if that helps in the figuring of this puzzle. It is good that he's otherwise normal and not having weakness, lameness, collapse, vomiting, straining to urinate, etc...