Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm not sure if it's something to worry about, but my dog…

I'm not sure if...

I'm not sure if it's something to worry about, but my dog last night wasn't acting like his normal happy energetic self. He balled himself in a corner and seemed off. He normally comes when I call him and he wasn't having it. Then this morning I let him out to go potty and he immediately ate some grass which I know is a sign to look for and he didn't touch his breakfast until way later. He seems a little more energetic today but not much. I'm just not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I should bring him in.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything?

5- Breed?

6- Any other symptoms?

He is 6 years old and a husky/red heeler mix. I haven't seen any vomit but when I took the grass out of his mouth there was some clear foam in his mouth from vomit possibly? He has never had any medical problems. I'm not sure if he got into anything, he was outside with us while we were cleaning out our shed which has garden chemicals in it but I never saw him get into anything and he's usually pretty good at staying out of things.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

No other symptoms.. His gums are a little pink.. And I dont have a rectal thermometer

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is eating grass this could be a sign of gastrointestinal problems as you already know. So, it is possible that he has been vomiting especially if you saw evidence of foam in his mouth. His symptoms of lethargy and eating grass are very non-specific and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Anything from ingestion to a foreign body to a systemic disease are all possible. Unfortunately, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to be seen by your vet for a hands-on examination. In addition, he may need some testing like blood work and x-rays. Strongly recommend having him checked as soon as you can. In the meantime, you can start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours; you can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not give Pepto Bismol.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

All the veterinarians are closed right now near me. Do you think he'll be okay until the morning when I can take him? Do I give him pepcid ac with food?

I am uncertain if he will be okay by the morning, I have not examined him or know what is the underlying cause in order to make a prognosis, I am sorry.

It is best if you give the Pepcid AC without food. To give a pill this is what you do:

1- Open his mouth.
2- Then, place the pill as far back on the base of the tongue and hold the mouth closed.
3- While holding the mouth closed direct the nose up and rub the throat to stimulate swallowing.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter