Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 65 pound dog just ingested about 6 accutane pills -

Customer Question
Our 65 pound dog...

Our 65 pound dog just ingested about 6 accutane pills - seems okay but has only been about 15 minutes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rudy 4 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rudy?

No. He seems to have a strong stomach - sad to say he has eaten 6 protein bars (part chocolate) and did fine with that

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 30 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I got an email that you responded, but when I log in, it states you are replying. I will sit tight, but if I missed your reply somehow, please let me know. thanks!

There's limited experience with isotretinoin in veterinary medicine; however, there appears to be a low incidence of adverse effects, particularly in dogs. In a retrospective study in 147 exposures to isotretinoin, 140 were dogs with 5 showing clinical signs - mostly hypersalivation. According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, because of the drug's many potential adverse effects (gastrointestinal, central nervous system, stiffness, itchiness and other skin changes), gut emptying should be considered. That can be achieved by dosing Rudy with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given with a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you! Will keep an eye on him - was most concerned if i need to get him to an emergency room. How long after he eats it is it "absorbed"?

Isotretinoin is rapidly absorbed from the gut once the capsule disintegrates and the drug is dispersed in the GI contents which may require up to 2 hours after dosing. Animal studies have shown that only about 25% of the dose reaches the systemic circulation. In humans, terminal half-life is about 10-20 hours. We don't have those pharmacokinetics in dogs, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian