Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Took my Chihuahua to vet today to get booster vaccines.

Hi. took my...

Hi. took my Chihuahua to vet today to get booster vaccines

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Chihuahua?

She's very sluggish and cries when we touch her. no swelling I can see

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your Chihuahua. What is your Chihuahua's name and age?

Cinnamon, 1 yr 5mos

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cinnamon?

She is panting on and off

3/22/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thanks
Phone call session started

Just trying t call you now but getting your answering system.

I will try again in a minute or so ...

Please check your phone number, I called(###) ###-####but this appears to be a wrong number ...

Thanks, ***** ***** you back now ...

Hello again,

Further to our phone call ...

Basically, there are two sorts of vaccine reactions which can occur :

1. Serious anaphylactic reactions: These reactions occur very rarely and are potentially life-threatening allergic reactions, they will start within several minutes to an hour after vaccination and require immediate veterinary attention as your dog will be in extremis or collapsed. I doubt if this is happening in your dog's case.

2. Mild reactions: These are more common, they usually start within hours to several days after vaccination, and last no more than four or five days, you may see discomfort and pain at the site where the vaccine was given, perhaps a mild fever and reduced appetite plus sometimes lethargy and vomiting. These dogs feel very sorry for themselves but on balance, the protection they receive via vaccination is so important.

As I said it seems likely to me under the circumstances that Cinnamon may have the second form of the vaccine reaction but of course other diagnoses are possible. If this is a minor vaccine reaction the main way to treat this is just support and trying to keep her eating and drinking, really this is just good nursing care. While there can be no guarantees my experience is that the majority of these dogs slowly return to normal over a couple of days without any special treatment.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian