Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

55 lb dog ate 1/2 package of oreos about an hour ago. She is…

55 lb dog ate...

55 lb dog ate 1/2 package of oreos about an hour ago. She is acting fine. Oreos have 2.4 mg of theobromine per oz. I would say she consumed about 7 oz (16.8 mg of theo). Should I bring her to the vet? Or induce vomiting. Not sure the exact time she consumed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maye, 8 yrs old black lab mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maye?

Otherwise healthy. She ate dark chocolate covered pretzels when she was 2 and had no problems despite ingesting.

3/22/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Hello again,

Good news! Maye should be just fine, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. The great thing here is that you have a fairly large dog, at a conservative estimate the toxic level for Theobromine in the dog is around 100mg per kg of bodyweight which works out as { 25 kg X 100 } = 2500 mg in your dog's case so the 16.8 mg of Theobromine she did ingest is not going to affect her much if at all. I am not surprised since in my experience Oreos have a low chocolate content and dogs are rarely much affected even when they eat whole packets.

2. Given the above there are no specila measures you need carry out, Maye should be just fine as far as chcoclate toxicity goes, that said she may perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea, this can happen when a dog gorges on alamost anything, but should this occur it is not likley to be serious and should pass on its own.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Maye's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian