Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diarrhea and vomiting, make intact. Diarrhea spraying out…

Customer Question
Diarrhea and vomiting Veterinarian's...

Diarrhea and vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

***** ***** make intact. Diarrhea spraying out of butt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the jack eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of . Trying to keep him comfortable in a snow storm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the jack's name and age?

Kobe 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Kobe?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kobe?

He’s on a special diet for previous stomach issues. ZD diet.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where’s the vet?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kobe is having problems with diarrhea and vomiting lately. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Skin test is good and gums are slippery. Temp is 100.8. Diarrhea is looking red

Thank you for that information. As long as Kobe continues to be well hydrated then you can continue to treat at home. There are many different causes for sudden vomiting and diarrhea, but it sounds like Kobe already has a history of some kind of intestinal sensitivity, so inflammatory bowel disease, food allergy, or a food intolerance seems likely. The red color in the diarrhea is possibly blood, but it could also be food. Bleeding small amounts is not uncommon because with diarrhea, there is often straining to defecate, which causes rupture of some superficial blood vessels. It is not a problem that we focus on right away and it will resolve once the issue causing the diarrhea has resolved.

Treatment for sudden vomiting and diarrhea is to give a medication to decrease nausea, treat for diarrhea, and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 20 lb dog dose is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if Kobe weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for him. Treatment for diarrhea can be given with Kaopectate, which is also available over-the-counter.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed Kobe a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. You can also add fiber to the diet to help bulk up the stool, which helps with diarrhea. Fiber sources consist of things like Metamucil or canned pumpkin. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow him to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring his hydration status 1-2 times per day. If he continues to vomit, or if you notice a worsening of her dehydration, then he should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian