Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog sneezed a few minutes ago and sprayed a little blood.

Thank you!! My...

Thank you!! My dog sneezed a few minutes ago and sprayed a little blood. He doesn't have a bloody nose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's around 8 ( he's a rescue). He a dachshund.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dude?

Nope. He's very healthy. Eats well. Showing no signs of any illness or distress. He's his usual self. He does get allergies in the spring.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. Kara.

I am sorry to hear that Dude sneezed and sprayed a little blood out of his nose tonight.

Has this ever happened before?

Has there been any change in the shape/conformation of his nose?

How is he feeling in general?

Has he been sneezing a lot lately?

Does he have foul breath, rotten teeth or severe gum disease?

Any possible exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides?

Are ticks an issue where you live?

Sneezing blood is most commonly related to infections (fungal or bacterial), a foreign body in the nose, a clotting disorder, an infected tooth root irritating the sinuses or nasal cavity or a mass of some kind in the nose.

So if his bloody sneezes continue then a veterinary visit to look into his nasal cavity with a scope and maybe some radiographs of his nose/sinuses as well as a thorough dental exam are indicated.

Since the bleeding was a small amount and if his gum color is a nice bubblegum pink there are a few things we can try at home.

First try to settle him down. Excited dogs have high blood pressure which worsens bleeding.

Cold packs applied to the outside of his nose/muzzle can decrease blood flow and allow a clot to form which should slow/stop any residual bleeding in his nose.

But if his gums are pale and his bleeding becomes steady despite these measures then emergency is best.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has never happened before. He's not in distress (he's under his favorite blanket right now) or excited. No changes in his nose. My neighbor had Terminex spray their house a couple days ago. Could it be something from that?
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

If this happened the same day as the spraying then possible irritation from the chemicals in the air, or dust being stirred up would be possible, but that's not likely a couple days later.

Most of the time with otherwise normal pups this is related to a tooth root infection or an inhaled foreign body (like a grass seed).

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian