Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

16 yr old Golden with mast cell on her ankle for 6 years.

16 yr old Golden...

16 yr old Golden with mast cell on her ankle for 6 years. She takes 6 Benedryl a day. Had a UTI a couple months ago and her UA culture and chem panel showed her dumping protein. Retested with same readings. Upon ultrasound, it was found she had a benign spot on her lung and one on her adrenal glands, suspecting Cushing's. But, she has a deeply embedded malignancy in her liver which they could not biopsy. I wouldn't have consented to this anyway. Except for moderate thirstiness, she is other asymptomatic. My question is, besides end of life signs such being listless, no appetite ie the warning signs they give, I've been told she likely will bleed out. If this happens, will she be pain? Other signs of failure in this case that would be painful? Thanks in advance. Dawn Marie

3/21/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that your older pup is struggling with several health issues, including a mast cell tumor, lung mass, liver mass, an adrenal tumor which is likely causing Cushing's disease symptoms.

I can understand that it is upsetting to hear that your pup may bleed out because of her liver tumor rupturing and bleeding out, or her adrenal tumor invading into localized blood vessels and causing them to rupture/bleed profusely.

Be assured though when/if that happens it is very unlikely that she will suffer, or even be aware of what is happening. She may cry out but her vocalization would be a response to feeling hypoxic (low oxygen levels) and feeling woozy, and she truly may not be aware of much after that. Once her blood pressure quickly falls and her brain isn't getting oxygen she will not be mentally aware. Some dogs may try to run or get away as this happens, but this is purely an adrenaline rush and not a conscious choice.

It is often much more difficult on the owner then it is for the pup.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No you answered my question. With cancers in organs like this, it seems they go fast. Thanks so much for answering me so that I can anticipate a little better. She’s beaten amazing odds at 16. I’ll be euthanizing her at home.

They do usually go pretty quickly, but I agree that she has beaten the odds by making it to 16. So perhaps she will again beat the odds, blissfully ignore that she shouldn't do well, and be lucky enough to continue to feel well. My best to your girl.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian