Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got two huskies pups. They are about 5wks old. The…

I just got two...

I just got two huskies pups. They are about 5wks old. The lady said they have had their first shots and worker. I've only had them 3 days they have been doing very well. But today one of them is laying around and has had diarrhea and is cleanching here teeth together. She is still eating and drinking and going outside. And I've just noticed she has hickups.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Haven't exactly decided but so far we are going with eva

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is twitching in here sleep. Other than that .. that's it.

3/22/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm concerned about "clenching teeth" which might be a description of "chomping/champing" fits typical of the neurologic form of canine distemper. Diarrhea and lethargy are consistent with distemper but not pathognomonic (specificially indicative) of it. Is this behavior persistent enough that you could video it and upload a video to YouTube or a similar app?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
There is a button that says I could video call if that would be better. I just checked on them again and the other one is playing but she is just sleeping. And both of their stomachs are really big and tight. But they were like that when I picked them up

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I understand that videoing an event can be difficult. Both need to be watched carefully. If the behavior is truly representative of a distemper encephalitis, it's likely that both will become symptomatic - champing fits, disorientation, confusion, aimless running/pacing. Their distended stomachs are most likely due to intestinal parasites in spite of their being wormed. Five weeks of age is a bit early to give an initial vaccine. Did the "lady" give you documentation showing that the pups were vaccinated?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm going to try to catch her doing it

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I got the video. How can I get it to you?

You'll need to upload it to YouTube or a similar app and then give me the link to it.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
https://youtu.be/vDrbA3z90Z8

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Excellent video. Unless proven otherwise this pup is demonstrating partial seizures typical of canine distemper. Her mentation (mental status) is altered - note how agitated she is and unable to rest comfortably, tremoring of her head is seen, and (mild) champing of the jaws is occurring. I recommend showing this video (and her, of course) to your vet. Neurologic signs are the most negative prognostic indicator for this infection. Few dogs survive and those that do are often left with permanent neurologic dysfunction. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Your welcome but could you take a look at another video for me she is doing something different now.

Certainly.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm trying to get it uploaded but she came up to me and I put her up on my bed. She is sitting and holding her head back and howling almost like a cry like she's sad

Regretfully, that behavior is another indication of encephalitis. You're going to have a long night unless she's monitored and sedated at a 24-hour facility

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was going to let you know earlier today just been a bit busy. I ran her to the emergency vet that night. And he was puzzled. The only thing he could see it being was distemper also. Put her on fluids and meds. But all blood work and testing came back negative. I picked her up and transferred her to our vet clinic. The only thing either could find were round worms. They said they have seen it before as how she got dehydrated and was a little anemic. But it wasnt often. But she was also the runt and already weak but muscle and build was all healthy. But we got her back home had the other one tested and dewormed as well and they go in next week for a check up recheck and their shots.. but all is well she's doing great. Up playing spunky and sweet as ever.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. Please keep me posted.

You're quite welcome. Cute buggers!!

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian