Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dalmador is normally very happy and high energy. I think…

My dalmador is normally...

My dalmador is normally very happy and high energy. I think he may have jumped off the couch and hurt himself because he is not wagging his tail, he is hiding under the coffee table and is growling and biting at me when i try to touch him. I kniw something is wrong but i cant even get close to him to check or get a leash on him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Griffin about 1.5 years. He was a rescue. He is timid sometimes, but never agressive

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Griffin?

He isnt interest in his treats and he is a power chewer that eats everyrhing. This al just happed 1 hour ago

3/21/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I will be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about Griffin. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
it absolutely sounds like he probably injured himself jumping around the house or off of something.This is extremely common with dogs. For right now I would just let him rest and not try to bother him. Give him a little time to just calm down and relax. Allow him the freedom to come out when he is ready to do so. You can certainly offer him his treats and his food and see if he comes out but I would not force him. As the evening goes on I am sure that he will make his way out from under the table. Typing more...
Once he does come out I would not do any excessive activity with him, he needs to rest as much as possible. Make sure that he is able and willing to use his legs normally and does not seem to be dragging his paws at all. If for some reason he is not walking normally or dragging his paws and he needs to go into an emergency hospital this evening. If he seems to be getting around okay but does seem a bit painful then you have the option of just keeping him really quiet and rested this evening and taking him in tomorrow especially if he is not improving. The most common injury that I see is called intervertebral disc disease or ivdd. This is simply acute back pain and can be very debilitating for dogs. Obviously we see it a lot and small breed dogs with long backs like dachshunds or Lhasa's.
If he seems completely on able to rest and is extremely painful, then you may have to take him in tonight for some medication and further evaluation. If he is limping on one leg then he may have obviously injured a joint.
unable
I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am very happy to help. I will be on the site intermittently this evening if you have further questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a five star rating is always appreciated. Even after the reading we can continue this conversation for a week so please keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just came out from under the table...he cant resist a potato cbip for long. He seems to be walking ok but really is just laying down. We will keep him calm (as much as you can keep a dalmation calm) for the night and re asses in the morning. Thank you.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian