Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Wendy, a Chihuahua Mix who is 3 years old had

Hi - My dog Wendy, a...
Hi -
My dog Wendy, a Chihuahua Mix who is 3 years old had developed crystals in her urine. She had 2 types - Struvites and Calcium Oxilate. She was diagnosed with these mid January and still had them to date even though she has been eating the Royal Canin Prescription S/O moderate calorie food. Per my Vet's directive, she had a sonogram yesterday. The results of the Sonogram showed the following - her bladder was fine - no stones however her kidneys had mineralization in the filter part. The origin was idiopathic. What are your thoughts for treatment? Are there any herbal supplements she can take? Also she is on Royal Canin S/O moderate calorie. Can she continue to eat this or do I have to put her on a new prescription dog food by Royal Canin. I just bought a case of the Royal Canin S/O the other day. Any insights would be very helpful. Thanks
3/21/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I have taught veterinary ultrasound for many years

I am not worried about the dystrophic mineralizatioon- see it all the time

Have they culture the urine?

Paul

Before the sonogram the urine had both struvites and calcium oxilate. That is why we did the sonogram. To determine if the dog was getting crystals from bladder or kidney stones. My vet said the mineralization in her kidneys was indicative of chronic idiopathic kidney disease.
I wanted to know your thoughts. Can she still eat the Royal Canin S/O moderate calorie or do I put her on Kidney prescription diet? How about supplements? Thanks Dr. Paul

The mineralization is nothing to worry about- it happens tons in dogs

Did they check the blood and urine?

Were the kidney levels elevated?
What was the specific gravity of the urine?

Did they culture the urine?

Paul

She had blood work a few weeks ago. All blood work was fine. Urine cultures were done prior to the sonogram. Struvites and calcium oxilate crystals were the reason behind the sonogram. That's it.
My Vet told me that they would do another urine analysis when I bring her back in May for her annual vaccinations.

Okay so the urine culture was negative- that is good

The reason I ask is that struvite crystals are due to bacterial infections 99% of the time

It does not make sense to have both crystals at same time unless there was lab error

How was the urine sample collected?

Paul

Dr. Paul - I bought in the urine samples after Wendy took a "whiz" first thing in the morning.
My Vet told me that they would do another urine analysis when I bring her back in May for her annual vaccinations

Nope

Cant do that and your vets should have know better

Both of the those crystals ARE lab error due to the urine being allowed to cool

You do NOT need any special diets

Paul

Dr. Paul - How about the minerals in her kidneys? And the diagnosis I was given of idiopathic chronic kidney disease?
I am totally confused by all of this.

Her kidney levels were fine

They said her urine was fine

The mineralization is an incidental finding

NO treatment if blood levels and urine specific gravity were normal

Paul

then why was it classified as idiopathic chronic kidney disease by the specialist who read the sonogram?

Mineralization occurs secondary to some underlying damage- it happens all the time

And Idiopathic chronic kidney disease is not a diagnosis

That diagnosis would require dilute urine and elevated kidney enzymes

Paul

Are you still there?

Paul

Hello?

Thanks Dr. Paul. I have more questions to pose to my Vet unless I missed something. I don't recall him saying that the blood work had kidney elevations.

Very welcome

My wife is a double board certified veterinary pathologist

Please send me all of the lab results- she will review

I worry that you are chasing the proverbial rabbit down the hole here

My job is to give you good council and advice :)

Okay you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you will this is sorted

Paul

I have a copy of her old blood work. What would be the term for Kidney in the blood work?

BUN

Creatinine

Phosphorus

Hold on. I am going to send you a copy of her bloodwork.

Okay

And the urine results?

Please see attached. This was done on 1/15. Thanks.

Okay

Nothing attached :(

Creatinine=1.0 and the range=0.5-1.6BUN Creatinine Ratio=18 and the range=4-27Phosphorus=3.4 and the range= 2.5-6.0
Dr. Paul, I hope you can read the blood work.

All normal

I think I am going to go to a new Vet. Thanks for your opinion. Best Elizabeth

Very welcome!

Please keep me updated on things

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you to update me :)

Good luck!

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian