Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yelping when getting on bed or couch but running around

Yelping when getting on...

Yelping when getting on bed or couch but running around normal, won't let any of my dogs near her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

I just told u

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Right hip She has a nasty smell too

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Kaiya dutch shep and 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kaiya?

She gets her anal glands expressed every 3 monthsm

3/21/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Kaiya. Can you tell where the bad smell is coming from: Skin? Mouth? Rear end?

Yelping when getting onto furniture can be a sign of back or knee pain. Is she on any pain medications or do you have any pain medication previously prescribed for her?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her rear! No medications it started a week ago randomly. She plays and runs all day fine but won't jump anymore.

If it is her rear, it may be another anal gland infection, and she may need antibiotics. That might explain her rear end pain, and not wanting to be around the other dogs, for fear of being bumped or jostled which might hurt.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Makes sense she'll be going to the bmvet for medication tomorrow. Thank you

It would probably help to start her on pain medication until you can get her checked and get antibiotics if needed from your veterinarian.

If you do not have any pain medication previously prescribed for her, you could try aspirin. How much does she weigh?

You are welcome; let me know how she is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs 49lbs

She could take 1/2 of a regular aspirin, or 2 or 3 baby aspirin, with food, every 12 hours. If she vomits, do not repeat it. Do not give Advil, or Aleve.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

I did not hear back from you. Was this helpful? Do you have any other questions?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Her anal glands were the size of grapes and she has to go back monthly to Get expressed

Thanks for the great rating!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian