Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a dog that I believe has an abscess that formed due…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a dog that I believe has an abscess that formed due to his castration. It has been around a year and he has swelling and blood and fluids coming from his penis. I am currently in Haiti and the vet used kept saying that it was because he never knew what it felt like to ejaculate. Sounds like complete nonsense to me. He is now coughing and crying while he coughs. Could you please advise me what to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is***** is around 18 months. The castration took place over a year ago and it seems to get worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?

I had him on amoxicllin which seemed to releave some of the swelling and the fluids for a period of time, however he looks really uncomfortable. Being in Haiti there are a lot of stray dogs. His penis can not come out of the foreskin, so I don't believe it is an std which formed into a tumour

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience.

It is possible for a dog to develop an abscess after castration but it would happen within 14 days of surgery. A year later means there is something else going on. I have never heard that bizarre explanation you have above. Agree with you that it is nonsense. There is something else going on which may be a tumor (e.g., transmissible veneral tumor) or trauma or atypical infection (fungal, parasitic) which has led to infection. You may not have the option to seek out a second opinion down there but if so, then I'd recommend this.

Otherwise, about the best you may be able to do is to see if an antibiotic (a good broad spectrum like amoxicillin+clavulanic acid e.g., Clavamox or Augmentin are trade names) to see if there is improvement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr Joey. Thanks for your response. The swelling and bleeding and fluids has been occurring for a year now... I'm worried if it is an abscess that it may have burst as he is now coughing a lot and crying when he coughs. He also hasn't really had an appetite over the last couple of days.
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified