Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet tolls me my dog has a stretched tendon in his knee…

Customer Question
My vet tolls me...

My vet tolls me my dog has a stretched tendon in his knee what drug would help repair this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

The right rear leg at the knee joint has a pulled tendon. We took him to the vet and she put him on some medicine for 2 weeks and said to try to keep him off of the leg as much as possible, which was a almost not possible. But he has slowed down quite a bit. We got some Glucosamine DS 500mg and are giving it to him daily. He seems better when the weather is warmer, cold is not good. The vet said that the surgery would have to be done at the University of Georgia Vet School, and cost about $5000. It has now been over 2 months, he still wont put much pressure on it and as the day wears on he is totally lifting it. Is there anything else we can do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Knee joint right rear leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Gus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gus?

He is a 3 year old lab mix rescue dog We have had him since he was 2 months old and we also have his brother. Loves to EAT.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that your dog is having issues with a cruciate tear diagnosis

- I often have clients who don't elect surgery and there are alternatives if you want to avoid the surgery option

1- Acupuncture

2- Laser therapy

3- After we pass the acute stage of injury of the first 2-4 weeks physical therapy

4- Pain management with medications like gabapentin that help with pain without effecting organ function and dose can be adjusted if needed

5- In some cases a splint that is measured and ordered by a physical therapist can help support the leg but I cannot emphasize enough that this must be a specific type of splint, not one you can order online. Unfortunately to ensure the right fit and no wounds they can run $700-900

6- Rotate warm and cool compresses on the knee in 10 minute intervals. Follow the cool compress with massage from toes to hip and back down again

7-Adequan injections. These are pricey but given twice weekly subcutaneously (I have owners give the medication at home after a demonstration to minimize the visits) for four weeks then taper frequency as improvement is seen and if there are bad periods then increase frequency once again

8- Supplements: Glucosamine sulfate 1500 mg daily, fish oil with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort

9- With your pet's size, a help em up harness that is used to support standing and moving to minimize injury to your back but also prevent further injury to you pet. http://helpemup.com

Hopefully this gives you a starting point for your pet. I often will attempt this technique in dogs (depending on their comfort) before considering surgery. I would also advise checking other specialty hospitals in your area for cost comparison because $5k is a high estimate for this type of surgery.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman

Good evening, how is Gus? Is there anything else I can assist with in his recovery?

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!