Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vinnie is a 6 year old black lab with mega esophagus and he…

Customer Question
Vinnie is a 6...

Vinnie is a 6 year old black lab with mega esophagus and he has been losing weight even though he eats and is held upright after eating so he doesn't throw up anymore.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Vinnie is active, he was started on human food, extra lean beef, eggs, fish oil, brown rice and carrots and does not have dog food anymore.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/22/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What medications have been tried?

Just probiotics

Thanks for that information.

I'm sure you have read about Megaesophagus. With this condition, food fails to move all the way down into the stomach and is frequently regurgitated. You can read about this here just in case you didn't read this site before.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/megaesophagus-in-dogs/

You have been doing good by keeping his front elevated for 10-15 minutes after eating as well as when he is eating. That is one thing that can help. You should also experiment with different consistencies of food. Some do better with almost a liquid consistency and others a semi liquid or softened food. Feeding a high calorie diet in small portions throughout the day is also recommended. Perhaps supplement with Nutrical would help as well.

There are a few different drugs that may be effective. One is Metoclopramide which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/metoclopramide-hcl-reglan

Another drug is Cisapride, you may want to ask your vet whether these drugs would help in your dog's particular case. Definitely start on small more frequent meals and different consistencies and talk to your vet.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner