Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Have a 2yr old husky, just gave birth to a single puppy

Customer Question
Have a 2yr old...

Have a 2yr old husky, just gave birth to a single puppy around 6hrs ago. Not her 1st little, and I got her through a rescue program 4 mnths ago. She recovered well and manage to obtain good weight and healthy appetite. Should I be concerned that there's a single pup. From time 2 time she still start breathing fast, but doesn't seem to produce enough contraction for any puppies to be birthed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

The single puppy suckles normal, and she quite attentive to it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation. A singleton puppy isn't totally impossible, but it isn't that common for a Husky to have only a single puppy in a litter. This is more common with smaller breed dogs. IN her situation, it is good that she's taking care of this puppy well and that it is doing well. Could she have more? Females can definitely go over 24 hours in-between puppies being born. This isn't the most common, but it can happen. If you specifically wanted to know if there are more and how many, I would get her to your vet so they can take an x-ray and give you a further puppy count. This would be nice to then know absolutely when she's through the birthing process.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian