Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua is having an allergic reaction to something.

My chihuahua is having...

My chihuahua is having an allergic reaction to something. Its been going on for a couple days. He just can't stop itching. I was thinking it was from some dehydrated chicken treats I've been giving him, so I stopped that and am waiting to see if that help. How long should I wait before taking him in?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Chihuahua's name?

He's drinking just fine, it's just that he's super itchy. His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?

It's mostly his back, and I can see some bumps on his back

3/21/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear your dog is itching so much. It is possible it is from the treats, especially the area being on his back and not his feet nor his axillary / groin region

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Leash walk 15+ minutes daily to twice daily to redirect his energy and focus from the area that is bothering him
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you, ***** ***** a lot!