Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm dogsitting a coonhound and he's thrown up 3 times today.

I'm dogsitting a coonhound...

I'm dogsitting a coonhound and he's thrown up 3 times today. Was concerned that he had perhaps gotten into a rawhide without us knowing and now I'm paranoid about a blockage

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I can pinpoint, but he does like to chew so I don't know if he's eaten any part of the toys that he has destroyed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's 10 months old, a treeing walker coonhound mix, and very thin. He eats three meals a day, no recent changes to his diet, and isn't acting lethargic or in pain. Sometimes when he stands it seems a bit wobbly, but he hasn't fallen He drinks loads of water too

3/21/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear the dog you are sitting for is vomiting. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control but also rule out an obstruction sooner if this is a concern with his age and not being your dog

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications he should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the dog has progressed to vomiting bile, is this a sign to bring him in to be seen immediately? I have removed access to food and water and he is only let outside when he appears to need to vomit. Since I last wrote, he has been acting a bit listless and is no longer playing

I apologize for the delay, I had left to see appointments. If things are progressing and if you haven't already yes I would have him seen at this point

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I took him in and we ended up getting fluids and maropitant for him. He’s doing much better now, thank you!!

Thank you so much for the update, happy to hear he is on the mend :)

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian