Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Drank mr clean diluted in water. Threw up. Should I be doing…

Customer Question
Drank mr clean diluted...

Drank mr clean diluted in water. Threw up. Should I be doing anything else for dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I’m aware of. The throw up was foamy with a little bit of food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jax and 3 years old I think

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jax?

I’m not 100% sure but I believe he’s about 3 or 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?

He’s a Great Dane. Acting a little sluggish

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Thank you

Depending on how much was ingested this can cause stomach, esophageal ulcerations so if the vomiting continues please get him to a veterinary clinic to treat his symptoms. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

Again if there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control but also give you gi protectants to minimize progression of symptoms

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 1-2 hours from last vomiting episode but get him out on a walk to help reduce nausea, abdominal cramping, gi upset

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 tablespoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Jax comfortable

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am not set up to make phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you have online. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like I can opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can take calls.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman