Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is driving us. She acts like she is being attacked by…

Customer Question
My dog is driving...

My dog is driving us nuts

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

She acts like she is being attacked by something in the house but nothing is there. She is climbing all over us.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Nowhere. She is just acting scared

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Nope

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?

This is focused more at night. During day yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

She is constipated

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Jenny. 14

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 5 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am very sorry your question was not picked up earlier.

Her age is 14 years not months correct?

Does the onset come when it gets near dusk or later?

Does she sleep a little more in the day then she used to?

Has she ever gotten stuck in corners or walls not sure of where she is going?

years. Yes dusk but it's continuing today. Not stuck but not as willing to be very far from us.

Thank you for that information. It seems like there may be some canine cognitive dysfunction starting along with some sundowners. This will have a dog very restless and anxious during the night hours and usual onset is at dusk and can go through the night.

You can try some calming collars with adaptil, and you can also try some over the counter melatonin for her anxiety and see if that helps. If it does not, then your Vet can prescribe something a bit stronger.

Many older dogs do go through this, it is like human dementia in a way. There is confusion and anxiety.

Here is a little bit more on this

http://philosophyofdog.com/sundowners-syndrome-in-senior-dogs/

Here is dosing on melatonin

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

and a calming collar or spray that you can spray on a bandana for her can be found on line or in pet stores.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

You can request me at this link in the future. http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-2ndchances/

Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive