Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 yr old dog threw up her food in the middle of the

My 10 yr old...

My 10 yr old dog threw up her food in the middle of the night even though she ate around lunchtime yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Addison 10yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Addison?

Not really

It was about 10 hours after I fed her. She then drank a bit of water and vomited two hours later. She has had no changes to her food. She has been having regular bowel movements, although this morning it was solid and at the end a little soft.
3/21/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. Has Addison vomited again?
  2. Is she a pup that chews on and ingests things she should not?
  3. Any change in food or treats?
  4. Is she lethargic?
  5. Any recent weight loss or gain?
1. She initially vomited at 130am (some food in there), she drank a sip of water at 2ish, threw up at 4am (bile) so I took the water away and watched her until I had to leave for work at 730. I'm going home in about an hour for my lunch break to check on her.2. She doesn't typically chew on things at all. She's never been one to tear things up or swallow things.3. She had a treat last Saturday night. An organic trachea. Nothing new to her. Has had normal bowel movements since and has been eating just fine.4. She is not lethargic.5. She hasn't had any weight gain or weight loss that I can tell.My schedule for work and life has been all over the place. She isn't in her normal routine because I've had a lot of work and personal issues the past couple of months.

Of course without testing I cannot tell you for sure what is going on with Addison, but I can give you some possible reasons for what is going on with her.

A quick change in diet, even if it is only treats can lead to nausea.

Organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or ketoacidotic diabetes can lead to a build up of metabolic wastes that lead to nausea, and an inability to process the nutrients she does take in.

A gastrointestinal foreign body, or an abdominal mass/tumor placing pressure on her gastrointestinal tract can lead to difficulty getting ingesta through her gastrointestinal tract, and thus may lead to vomiting hours after eating.

Systemic infections can also cause vomiting. Is she spayed? If not a uterine infection (pyometra) could cause her symptoms.

Inflammatory bowel disease causes an inability to digest and absorb food, and may lead to vomiting.

If her nausea continues, or she has had weight loss or gain she needs to see a veterinarian for an examination, complete blood count, biochemistry profile and urinalysis. In many cases this can point toward a diagnosis and direct treatment. But with many cancers bloodwork and routine radiographs may not be diagnostic. In those cases an abdominal ultrasound can be helpful.

In the meantime at home to try to settle her stomach and get her to eat you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers, are very safe, and may help her feel better. They can be used as needed.

You can also try a bland diet with increased fluids to get her better hydrated. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Add low salt beef or chicken broth to her meals as well to improve palatability and get more fluids in which should help as well.

In an older girl with these sorts of symptoms it is possible that this is stomach upset but her age makes it more likely she has some sort of serious disease process going on if she doesn't respond to simple supportive care. She needs diagnostic testing to further evaluate her.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian