Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 13 y/o dog is a 12lb poodle/terroir mix. He used to get…

Customer Question
Our 13 y/o dog...

Our 13 y/o dog is a 12lb poodle/terroir mix. He used to get regular checkups but 3 years ago he was diagnosed with an auto immune issue that turned his skin black and bruised. We paid for the treatment. The vet suggested we stay away from annual shots like rabies etc. , that might impact his immune system. So we can no longer take him to any sort of clinic/grooming facility because his shots aren't up to date. Our dog stays inside so little chance of coming in contact with rabid animals. We groom him ourselves but the issue we have is his breath is atrocious and when he yawns the room takes on this foul smell. We feed him a mix of dry and can food. About 5 years ago he had several teeth pulled due to bad gums. What can we do to make his breath more acceptable. :o) Thanks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

His breath has been an issue for several months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rudy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudy?

I can't think of anything else.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Have you talked to your vet about a professional dental cleaning? Has he had an examination since the immune-mediated disorder diagnosis?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian