Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Two of our boys got into a fight on Sunday... still not

Two of our boys...

Two of our boys got into a fight on Sunday... still not completely sure why. Anyway, one of our boys has bacterial inflammation in the left side of the skin of his neck he is also shaking his left ear alot. My husband gave him 500mg amoxicillin pills for the infection in the bite on his neck and ears. My daughter had an ear infection and she is done with her liquid amoxicillin. Can we put some of the liquid amoxicillin (400mg/5ml) in his food? Also what can we give him for pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He’s an American pit bull terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. There are all sorts of infections the American pit bull terrier can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the American pit bull terrier's name and age?

Bronx and he will be 2 in June

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bronx?

2 years old in June

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bronx?

This is not the 1st time he has been in a fight. An older neutered boy we had in August attacked him and he had a vet visit where they gave him Vetprofen and a pet version of amoxicillin. Also a topical cream to put on his wound and he healed up really good

3/21/2018
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog had this problem.

How much does Bronx weigh?

Do you have any vetprofen from the last attack?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No vetprofen.. we used it all the last time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s about 7 lbs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
70lbs.. sorry

I see.

You can give the amoxicillin at a dose of 9ml every 12 hours. Ideally this is given for 7 days.

You can also give aspirin to help with pain: 2 baby aspirins (81mg) every 12 hours as needed for pain.

That should really help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the liquid amoxicillin (400mg/5ml) is ok?

Yes. that is fine to give. The dog stuff is just another generic amoxicillin. The liquid is perfect.

That is perfect. One teaspoon is about 5ml, in case you dont have a syringe lying around at home.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have a syringe. Thank you so much for your help. He’s eating now, amoxicillin in his food.

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian