Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog Fitz is a 3.5 year old great dane. He is diagnosed

Customer Question

My dog Fitz is a 3.5 year old white great dane. He is diagnosed with wobblers and recently had a few staff infections related to skin allergies.
He cleared up the infections with antibiotics but then his vet put him on daily apoquel. He also has a lot of GI issues and has been eating prescription I/D food for most of his life which he ate and tolerated well. The vet advised a switch to Royal Canin prescription H/P food for his skin. We made the switch over a month ago. While he is eating and tolerating it regularly, he has bouts of soft stool and diarrhea. He also seems generally unsettled.
While his skin seems okay, he's not drastically less itchy.
Would it be advisable to return to the science diet I/D, even if he may be allergic to the chicken? Is there another way of managing the food without the GI issues?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Have you considered a home-cooked diet for him? Have any novel diets been tried thus far? Has he been seen by a dermatologist yet?