Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's been eating grass all night outside like she's trying…

She's been eating grass...

She's been eating grass all night outside like she's trying to vomit

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Unfortunately I don't think so

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Georgia approximately 3. We rescued her of the street. She definitely eats out of fear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Georgia?

She's barely Restless it's the middle of the night right now and normally she would be sleeping she looks like she almost has the hiccups

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Aw, poor Georgia! She's a young dog, so major metabolic disease (kidney, liver, etc) is less likely. I'd be more concerned about a virus or eating something she's not supposed to. I'd start with some pepcid AC (5mg small dog, 10mg medium dog, 20mg large dog) twice daily along with some bland diet like boiled chicken/hamburger and rice for a day or two. If she continues to vomit or not eat than a vet visit is definitely warranted to look for other issues.

How is she now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has not vomited yet I believe that's the problem. She has fairly shallow breathing and she keeps licking her nose

That sounds like nausea. Give her some pepcid...you can either pill her (shove it in the back of her throat) or put it in a little peanut butter and spread it on the roof of her mouth so she can't spit it out.

I'm not set up for phone calls, I can opt out so another expert can help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's okay I don't have to do a live phone call. We have Zantac here in the house

Great. Zantac dose is about 1mg per pound twice daily.

Round to the closest half pill size...don't have to be exact.

If you don't want the phone call then cancel the request or else you'll be charged when another vet calls you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you for your recommendations. How long do you think until we see results she's fairly Restless now

If it's just an upset belly I'd expect relief within 24 hours. If she's still ill tomorrow (or worsening today) then definitely visit your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I cancel the request

Hmmm, I assumed there was a button. Go ahead and rate me at the top and then I'll flag customer service for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you for your information I will give you a good rating thank you

You're welcome! Hope she feels better soon!

DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Dr Sarah was very informative at a time when i just needed some reassurance (4am).I was able to comfort my pet until I had an appt scheduled with my regular vet. Thanks to her recommendation my pet and I bypassed an unnecessary trip to the emergency vet allowing someone else's real emergency to be tended to. Highly pleased!!
Thank you so much!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was trying to post that as a review and I'm not seeing how to do so��

I do not actually know how that works either. I can flag customer service for you. I appreciate it regardless!

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian