Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a teeny tiny Chihuahua puppy she was born Feb 2 this…

I have a teeny...

I have a teeny tiny Chihuahua puppy she was born Feb 2 this year. Her right eye seems to bulge out...i don't know if it's "No big deal" or something o should be taking her to be seen for. I'm disabled and fixed income.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Buttunz

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buttunz?

My friend has a sister from same litter and even tho I know my pup was the "runt", her pup is almost 3 t8mes or more the size of b uttunz. I DO have photos...

3/21/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would like to see the photos, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Only one pic uploaded - a very cute puppy with a closed left eye.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is very cute indeed UC she sits in the palm of my hand when I when she wants out of her carrier which by the way is one for a toy it is not a real carrier because those are way too big for her she I put my hand there and she crawls out and crawls into my hand but I am concerned about the left eye I think it's a left eye yes it wasn't that way when she was born so I'm thinking maybe it got damaged because she does have bubble eyes and maybe there's an infection I was putting like triple antibiotic ointment because she had like it the eye infections on both I swear they would look up and would not open but then it seems like I don't know when but it seems like that left eye has been bulging since she was like three and a half or 4 weeks old I got her when she was 4 weeks 3 days old because she was being dissed by the mother and overrun by all the other pups so the people gave her to me earlier and I have been nursing her with puppy formula and since she's had teeth I have bought her puppy Pedigree in the can but she seems kind of lethargic yesterday a little bit so I put her back on the
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The puppy formula and so today she seems to be a little more chipper you see the picture that I just sent was her in the month of February before her eyes were opened and her eyes do not seem to be as bubbled

Thank you, ***** ***** again the eyelids are closed and I can't get a good look at the globe of the eye itself. You may have to have a vet examine her hands-on. She needs her first vaccines soon and so that would be a good time to have her eyes checked along with her other cute parts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I have her vaccines on hand I usually give those the five in one by myself and I've done that myself for years with my own Chihuahuas but I'm cute I'm concerned for this one but I did get a picture of her I would like to send that to you and get your opinion please
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It seems as though her eye is actually gone down in sides since yesterday when I look at it today compared to the other eye except it's still kind of looks like there's an extra layer of skin or something over it like the inner eye or something so you see the little dots in the middle it's weird different

Good photo! There are severe changes in the cornea (clear window of the eye). There appears to be a large central corneal abrasion with quite a bit of neovascularization (new blood vessels) growing into the cornea surrounding that abrasion. This eye needs to be seen by a vet at your earliest convenience. Sight can be lost if this isn't cared for properly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok... I got it that's what I've been reading in my book there were a couple of things one was a tumor behind the eye one was that she got an infection behind the eye and the other was some sort of a scratch on the corner or something so I really appreciate that you confirmed my fear and I will definitely take her to a local vet here thank you so much so very very much for your time I really appreciate it truly I do thank you again so much.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
They gave me trrramicina ointment for her eye
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Question...is it true..that I really can't or shouldn't give her her shots till she's 1 pound
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Her eye DOES look better...slightly

Thank you for the update and your kind accept.

There's no weight limit for vaccines.

Good to hear.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
my sister's 10 pound 6 week old bullastiff pups het the same amount as my 5 oz chihuahia...seems barbaric

Correct. Vaccines aren't dosed by weight. It takes a certain amount to stimulate any dog's immune system to produce a protective number of antibodies.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Wow..im flabbergasted...but if u say so...i tryst u.so, she turned 7 weeks yesterday...i can give it to her now? I know that the reason we give them every 2 weeks is there bodies cam only hold it that long...whereas the adult can hold it for about a year...corre?

Yes, she should be vaccinated now. I would give only the core vaccines - distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus (DHP). Vaccines are best boostered in 3 weeks. She should receive a DHP now and at 10, 13, and 16 weeks of age, a booster at a year of age and then every 3 years thereafter.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
the 5 in 1 I have u don't advise now...be Right back w pi k of immunization

Correct.

That's OK. I didn't want her to receive leptospirosis - a bacterin (vaccine made from bacteria, not virus) - which has a greater chance of causing an adverse reaction.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
this is ok what I have?I think the kept is in the 7in1

Yes, it's OK.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I'm just nervous about her size but she is eating and Cooling and so other than the eyes she seems perfectly healthy so I will trust your wisdom and your experience and I will give it to her today and I will keep you informed on her progress I would like to send you one more photos of her and her littermate which my friend has and show you the size difference it will Amaze you the difference I'm kind of curious as to how big my puppy will be perhaps she may never wear town now that I think about it

I would be pleased to see those photos.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I meant to say may never weigh a pound now that I think of it.

Please note that it's always best to have a thorough physical exam performed by a vet prior to initiating vaccinations and wormings.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I agree
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian