Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua has a big belly. She still eats and drinks

Customer Question
My chihuahua has a...

My chihuahua has a big belly. She still eats and drinks water. Her stools are soft and she is urinating regularly her breathing can get labored and she takes a lot of naps. She is 13 years old. She doesn’t cry out in pain and still likes to have her tummy scratched. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She seems to look into my eyes as if she is trying to tell me something

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your Chihuahua. I see you have been waiting for an answer; I just came online and saw your question.

I think you should be worried enough to take her to a veterinarian to be checked. It sounds like she is retaining fluid in her belly, and if she can get labored breathing, she may also have fluid in her chest.

If she has diarrhea/soft stool, she may have a condition called PLE, protein losing enteropathy, where her blood protein levels are low which allows the fluid to build up. It can be treated, and a blood tests should tell you if she has low blood protein (albumin).

She also could have liver, kidney, or heart disease; all of these can allow fluid to build up like this.

Please let me know when you see my answer, if it is helpful, and if you have other questions.

I hope you are able to see my response. How is your chihuahua doing?