Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little dog may have eaten an ibuprofen tablet, is it safe…

Customer Question
My little dog may...

My little dog may have eaten an ibuprofen tablet, is it safe to wait and see if there's an issue?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** *****'s just over a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gram?

He weight around 12 lbs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Usually at that dose of Ibuprofen you will see some degree of GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat). If it has been less than an hour since he ate the pill, you can give 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. If it has been over an hour, you can try the following to help mitigate signs. If these do not help, I would take him to the vet for a check up.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!