Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

2 months ago she bled heavily from the mouth with black

Customer Question
2 months ago she...

2 months ago she bled heavily from the mouth with black diarrhea. she didn't eat for 2 weeks. I assumed she had a tumor or cist in her throat as she was always hacking. she was great after that. then 2 weeks ago she stopped eating again. she is very week now. vet barely looked at her and said to put her down. she is 15 beagle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Bailey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?

Just a sweet old beagle

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Bailey, please?

Regretfully, her condition isn't something I can determine from here. Her bleeding may have arisen from neoplasia (cancer) but also from thrombocytopenia (a lack of blood platelets) or gastrointestinal ulceration. Her hacking could arise from any number of cardiopulmonary disorders at her age. Profound anorexia is a nonspecific sign of illness. She'll need the attention of a vet willing to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics that might involve blood, urine, and fecal tests as well as imaging in the form of X-rays and ultrasound. It's unlikely that anything will be found that can be curative but perhaps palliative care can keep her comfortable in her dotage.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian