Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy started throwing u0, had a cou0le of lose stools,

Customer Question
My puppy started throwing...

My puppy started throwing u0, had a cou0le of lose stools, the other day her back end dropped down, but she recovered and walked fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?

Today my puppy started throwing up and had a couple lose stools yesterday her bacl end wentdown to ground like she couldn't walk,but recovered fast and walked fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

Could this be early signs of parvo?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bella rose
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
now is sloppering at the mouth. could it be early signs of parvo
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bella Rose is having issues with vomiting and loose stools. I am sorry to hereabout what is happening. Can you please tell me about how old is Bella Rose?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think about 3 months.she came up to my house and was whining and wimpering,I took her in.it looked like someone just dropped her off at my house.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no don't call, my husband is sleeping.my cell won't pick ip well where I live and the house phone eillwake him.

No problem. The phone call offer is automatically made by the website, but I can answer your question with text only. Please bear with me a moment while I type my reply.

It sounds like Bella Rose may not be fully vaccinated for parvovirus. If that is the case then that becomes the number one differential in this situation. Vomiting and loose stool can be particularly concerning because it can cause severe dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. If she stays hydrated then you can continue to treat at home.

Treatment for sudden vomiting and diarrhea is to give a medication to decrease nausea and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 10 lb dog dose is 2.5 mg (i.e. 1/4 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if Bella Rose weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for her. For the loose stool, the recommendation is to give Kaopectate for that, which is also available over-the-counter.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed her a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If she continues to vomit, or if you notice a worsening of her dehydration, then she should be treated by a veterinarian.

She should be tested for parvovirus if you can get her to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Other causes for vomiting and loose stool are intestinal parasites, sudden food changes, food allergies or intolerance to certain ingredients.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she pto ably only weighs about 5 lbs. I checked her for dehydration and she isn't.i don't have pepcid.i have phenarghanphen, but is for humans.it is what my Dr gave me for n/v

That can be used as well, but her dose would only be 1 mg every 6-8 hours. How many milligrams are in each tablet?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I t will morning before o can take her.our vet here is a old to my d7r.thst deals with sm5alland large animals. I don't thick he even draws blood.e
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she was whimperin and quiet now.

If there is no small animal veterinarian available then the goal of treatment is to keep her hydrated and give the treatment I discussed earlier. Give small amounts of water at a time so that she does not vomit.

Does that help answer your question?

Are we still connected? Do you have any other question I can answer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still here.she is laying on me right now.
there us no animal hospital at around me. it is about 45 mins from me. could she be dying. she is cry ing and seems lifeless. she had her head on me, when I moved over,gerheadjust flipped off like she no strength. I am very woreied,but I know my husband won't drive me there. 8 am disabled fro.a stroke.paralyzed on left side I also fell and dislocated my left elbows I guess we are both laid up.her breathing seems to be
more shallow rhan normal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
het pulse is strong and feels on a normsl steady best. she has no fever mote cold,clammy and still slobbering alot.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could this be dangerous to my cat, he is 11 months and they are always together. she is still crying out.she wants to get down and lay by her brother.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did u get my laser lo 'll'll couple of messages? are still there ?

Parvovirus is not dangerous to your cat, but we do not know for sure if that is what this is. How is Bella Rose doing this morning?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian