Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua ate a marijuana cookie. We don’t have the money…

My chihuahua ate a...

My chihuahua ate a marijuana cookie. We don’t have the money to take him to the vet, but he is so tired he can barely move and he’s sweating. But he’ll open his eyes and look around or bite an itch, just doesn’t want to sit up at all. Is there anything we can do to help him here?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is your Chihuahua's name and age?

Nacho, he’s about a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Chihuahua?

I don’t think so

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s about 11 pounds and at a 50mg cookie
3/21/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Nacho swallowed a marijuana cookie and is acting very lethargic. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Can you please tell me about how long ago that occurred?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 6 hours, or more.

Thank you for that information. At this stage, most of the marijuana ingredient has been absorbed by the body, so the goal of treatment is to prevent dehydration until he fully metabolizes the ingredients. Some of the marijuana may be remaining in his intestine, so it would be a good idea to give her activated charcoal if he is not vomiting and if he is able to swallow. You can use over-the-counter activated charcoal that is used for people.

Regarding hydration status, there are two methods to check for hydration. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. As long as he stays hydrated then he is in a good place to recover fully. The ingredients should be fully metabolized and excreted from the body in 24 hours.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That does help, thank you!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it ok to let him sleep or should we worry about him falling into a coma? Also what’s another option if we don’t have charcoal or to keep him hydrated?

There is no risk of a coma occurring, but the most serious side effects are low blood pressure and a slow heart rate. There is no over-the-counter treatment for that, so the best thing you can do is support him while his body metabolizes the drug. The best way to keep him hydrated is to use a dropper or a syringe and slowly give water by mouth. If he will drink for you then you can move quicker. Otherwise, it needs to be slow and gradual.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you, ***** ***** find something to give him water. He did eat some treats too. Thank you!

You are most welcome. Take care!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian