Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is their a preferred breed or mixed ( we used to call them…

Customer Question
Is their a preferred...

Is their a preferred breed or mixed ( we used to call them affectionately mutts, and NOT Designer Dogs!) I guess it raises the price for those in it for the almighty dollar!) that would not harm our Senegal, Parrot that we got as a baby 16.5 years ago. We named her Mollie cause we thought it was a female. We have since learned she is probably a he, so the name has been elongated to Mollie/Ollie to cover all bases!! We love her sooooo much that I guess we spoil her. The other desire in my 74 years is to own a dog!!! I would never bring ANY other animal into our home that would endanger our beloved Mollie/Ollie, We have all seen videos of birds and dogs playing with each other, BUT how realistic is that really?? My house in Virginia has two levels, both access to outside to a fenced large yard. I am willing and set up to keep them seperate if necessary. My desire to have a loving dog is my hearts desire since my last dog as a child! Is it possible to find a dog raised with a bird that needs a new home? I don't really want a puppy, my first choice is a rescue dog that is two to five years old and a loving disposition. It would be my biggest dream come true at this time in my life!! That fog would be soooo loved---I can easily provide character references! Thank you Doctor, for taking the time to read this and for giving me your advice!!! Gratefully, ********, retired RN

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mollie?

He is very fresh, in an amusing way. She is ONLY caged at bedtime, she thinks the kitchen counter, a short flight from the counter, is her territory ----I should buy stock in Lysol wipes!! I do keep her wings clipped to a "fly down" mode to keep her inside and out of the mouth of a stray cat outside. I have to give him to HIS HUMAN, (******, my wonderful husband of 45 years just to super wash the counter! He can do ANYTHING with him/her and Mollie just wants to interact with *****.) If he isnt home I have to temporarily cage him so I can clean! Me? He used to love me too, but being a one person bird, he now saves his negative behavior like biting for me. Its okay, I love whatever makes Mollie a happy bird!!

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
FORGOT TO SAY THANK YOU!!!!
Text or E- mail or phone----all OK!!
I hesitated to send credit card info. What exactly does "secure site" really mean?
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Congrats on your new dog search! Unfortunately there's not going to be an easy answer here. There isn't a particular breed that's going to be great with birds...some dogs have more of a hunting instinct than others, but that's more on an individual basis than breed basis. That being said, I'd guess that terrier breeds in general would have a higher prey drive than some other breeds. Have you looked at the Petfinder website?They may have an option to check for getting along with birds (I've never had an owner ask me about this!). I'm going to attach a few articles that may be helpful.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/can-dogs-and-birds-live-together-safely

https://www.thespruce.com/introducing-birds-to-dogs-390316

Let me know if this answers your question and if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I can flag customer service when we are done if you have questions about the site.

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Is there anything else I can help you with?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah