Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 9 year old male chihuahua. I live in the US in

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 9 year old male chihuahua. I live in the US in Southern California.My dog has started to scratch his ear and shake his head uncontrollably. The same ear has gone limp, and he also tilts his head to the side of the limp ear.His symptoms has been mild over the last couple days and have become worse tonight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

The issue is with the ear. It's all he can do to not scratch his ear.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name?

Frankie

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

Is he wobbly on his feet?

Is he vomiting?

Can you look into the ear? Does it look different to the other ear?

He's wobbly when he shakes his head, not when walking around.He's not vomiting.His right ear is significantly more red

Ok.

It does sound like he has an infection of the external part of his ear. If it extended to the internal ear then it would cause vomiting and wobbly walking around.

The infection is usually caused by bacteria or yeast and can be very itchy and painful

Do you have any ear medications at home?

I don’t have any. What would you recommend for remedies?

As it will be a bacterial or yeast infection, there are no home remedies to fix these types of infection. There are only medications available from your vet after they have examined the ear and determined which bacteria and/or yeast the infection is

There is some pain medication I could suggest to help keep him comfortable until your vet opens. Let me know if you would like some help with that.

Can I help you any further before I log off?

Thanks for your help. I think I have everything I need.
My pleasure

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101