Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Recently started treating her with Carprofen, for about 3…

Recently started treating her...

Recently started treating her with Carprofen, for about 3 days. Now she has no appetite, and is lethargic but is drinking water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

Australian Shepherd mix and is a little over 12 years old. Went to the vet 5 days ago suspecting arthritis, hence the Carprofen. She hasn't taken any today. She had a small piece of pork at lunch.(same as we were eating.)

3/21/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. Carprofen very commonly causes a loss of appetite. It is also hard on the liver. Does she normally eat pork or is that new for her also?

it's a rarity. she had one bite. Our other dog did too, No problems with her.

Ok, since Carprofen seems to be having this effect on her I would call your vet and ask him/her to switch the prescription to Meloxicam. It is much safer for the liver in my opinion and works very well. Also it's cheap if you ask your vet to write you a prescription for the human generic and then buy it at your pharmacy. I am not a fan of Carprofen because of these side effects. Also keep in mind that Meloxicam coupled with Tramadol works very well for arthritis.

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson