Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's bleeding in the inner side of his mouth. Vet said it…

Customer Question
Hi. He's bleeding...

Hi. He's bleeding in the inner side of his mouth. Vet said it was due to gingivitis, and there's nothing that can be done. He's now in pain when he opens his mouth big. Is there anything that can be done to help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He's 10 years. Otherwise healthy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would recommend trying Benadryl (1mg/lb every 12 hours). This is an antihistamine that can help with inflammation and gingivitis in the mouth. It can help with the pain as well. I would say if that doesn't work, I would take him to the vet and see about getting him on prescription pain medication.

Will benadryl stop the bleeding too?

Most of the time it will stop the bleeding as well, yes.

Can I give hi. Benadryl liquid?

Yes you can give Benadryl liquid.

I'm buying children's benadryl. Says 12.5mg per 5ml. My poodle is 18 lbs. Is this medication ok?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Yes, you can use this medication. I would Give 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the liquid Benadryl every 12 hours.