Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Took to vets today took Cray of throat couldn't see

Took to vets today...

Took to vets today took Cray of throat couldn't see anything, she is a pregnant pomsky, with choking noises swallowing probl9

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Cersie age 1 and one half year

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hello

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I just told u

3/21/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this :(

Is it possible for you to attach a brief video of the gagging for me to see?

Thank you

give me a minute

okay, no problem. I'll be online for another hour and a half so no rush

Trying to send video
It won't let me access the file

Okay. Let me ask a couple of questions.

When the gagging happens is it at rest or after exercise?

Is it a sound like a goose honking or is it more clearing the throat or coughing or like hiccups?

Honking thru the nose after swallowing

Is it more like video #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvkoDCni3po

or video #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mfXIC5uIT8

2 vet today said it wasn't trachea,it was esophagus, gave steroid shot didn't help

Okay. If this is reverse sneezing then the steroids are not likely to help. Reverse sneezing is sort-of like a hiccup. It can be for no reason at all, or if the nasal passages or throat is irritated. Here is some basic information on reverse sneezing:

Reverse sneezing is a disconcerting event in which a dog makes unpleasant respiratory sounds that sound like it is dying -- or will die in the next few minutes. Reverse sneezing sounds similar to the honking noise made by a dog with a collapsing trachea, but reverse sneezing is a far simpler condition that usually does not need any treatment. It is called reverse sneezing because it sounds a bit like a dog inhaling sneezes. The sound the dog makes can be so scary that many owners have rushed in a panic to emergency clinics in the middle of the night.

The most common cause of reverse sneezing is an irritation of the soft palate and throat that results in a spasm. During the spasm, the dog’s neck will extend and the chest will expand as the dog tries harder to inhale. The problem is that the trachea has narrowed and it’s hard to get the normal amount of air into the lungs.

Anything that irritates the throat can cause this spasm and subsequent sneeze. Causes include excitement, eating or drinking, exercise intolerance, pulling on a leash, mites, pollen, foreign bodies caught in the throat, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and post-nasal drip. If an irritant in the house is the cause, taking the dog outside can help simply because the dog will no longer be inhaling the irritant. Brachycephalic dogs (those with flat faces, such as Pugs and Boxers) with elongated soft palates occasionally suck the elongated palate into the throat while inhaling, causing reverse sneezing. Small dogs are particularly prone to it, possibly because they have smaller throats.

Reverse sneezing itself rarely requires treatment. If the sneezing stops, the spasm is over. Oftentimes, you can massage the dog’s throat to stop the spasm; sometimes it’s effective to cover the nostrils, which makes the dog swallow, which clears out whatever the irritation is and stops the sneezing. If the episode doesn't end quickly, you can try depressing the dog’s tongue, which opens up the mouth and aids in moving air through the nasal passages. Treatment of the underlying cause, if known, is useful. If mites are in the laryngeal area, your veterinarian may use drugs such as ivermectin to get rid of the mites. If allergies are the root of the problem, your veterinarian may prescribe antihistamines. Because reverse sneezing is not a severe problem, do not worry about leaving your dog home alone; if it occurs when you're not there, the episode will most likely end on its own.

If reverse sneezing becomes a chronic problem rather than an occasional occurrence, your veterinarian may need to look up the nasal passages (rhinoscopy), and may even need to take a biopsy to determine the cause of the problem. Sometimes, however, no cause can be identified.

Some dogs have these episodes their entire lives; some dogs develop the condition only as they age. In most dogs, however, the spasm is a temporary problem that goes away on its own, leaving the dog with no after-effects.

Wow that describes it perfectly,should I see if it goes away or take to er tomorrow

I would wait and let it go away. 99% of the time these go away on their own given enough time. If it is still happening after she delivers her puppies then consider a nasal scope, but it is definitely not worth the anesthesia risk to the puppies to pursue this now.

Ok ty very much!��❤

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “accept” my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night!

5 stars!

Thank you! I appreciate that. There should be a way to click on 5 starts in the top right corner of the screen.

Hi, please remember to click "accept the answer" at the top right corner and click on 5 stars, so the website will know that the case is finished. Thank you and I hope you have a blessed night!

Heath Wilkerson