Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 80 lb. lab ate chocolate should I just watch her take her…

My 80 lb. lab...

My 80 lb. lab ate chocolate brownies should I just watch her take her to ER vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Molly age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

She got hamburger patty before the brownies

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How much any brownies did she eat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 30 minutes ago 2” wide, 5” long and 1” high.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the size

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Molly very much, if at all, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her. { I will estimate the chocolate content of the brownies as being the equivalent of 4 ounces of milk chocolate } But let's talk things over in more depth ...

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Molly's weight as being in the region of 80 pounds then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 56.0 ounces of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate involved today { The equivalent of 4 ounces } was very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Molly's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Molly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate brownies...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Molly is good which I thought she was but my daughter was afraid she wasn’t. Yes your advice helped

I am so glad Molly came through this OK.

Thanks for the update.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Molly is good

I thought she would be OK ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian