Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is puking. Possibly regurgitating not aure of the

Customer Question
He is puking. Possibly...

He is puking. Possibly regurgitating not aure of the difference really. Its mostly liquid, except for when it looks like poop. Not a dark color at all. He is eating normally and drinking normally. No abdominal pain. We don't have an emergency clinic or any clinic that will work on payments with me here in the small town where I live.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Great! Thank you! He most likely did. Rummaged through the garbage. There were no bones in the garbage. He wont eat anything. Its possible he ate a tampon...

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Buster he is a little older than 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Buster?

A little older than 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?

He seems to be fine other than once a day vomitting for 2 days now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does he weigh?

Friend, regurgitation is when there is food in the vomit. If you are seeing liquid he is vomiting; this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.2-0.3mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian