Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 16 lb has injured his paw and is in pain. He caught his…

Hi my 16 lb...

Hi my 16 lb ***** ***** has injured his paw and is in pain. He caught his claw on the bark of our tree and has pulled it badly. I know he can take aspirin and benadryl - but can he take them together and how much of each can he take?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Jack's name and age?

Winston and he is a very fit and healthy newly 5 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Winston?

5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?

No - he is up to date on all his shots and takes his heart worm med monthly

3/21/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear that Winston has injured his claw. The only safe over the counter pain medications for dogs is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food (so for your dog this would be one 81 mg tablet)

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also massage the area and use cool compresses in 10 minute intervals he will allow it to provide relief

Please no licking (use a sock if needed) and this is fine to administer with benadryl 1 mg/ pound (1/2 of an adult 25 mg tablet for his size every 8 hours and may cause mild sedation). Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 10 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both before I sign off for the evening

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
To confirm I can give him the aspirin with the Benadryl?
I want to ensure that he sleeps well this evening and I think the Benadryl will help but need to confirm that I can give him the aspirin and then a little later give him the Benadryl?
Also what do you mean by no licking? He is licking his paw and we have sprayed a pain relieving pet spray on the injury. I am confused when you say no licking.
DrRoyC
Phone call session started