Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ingested plant and vegetable food. I came home and…

My dog ingested plant...

My dog ingested plant and vegetable food. I came home and she has been diarrheaing a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Ruby, she is 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?

Not that I can think of. She is about 30-35 lbs. Border collie mix

3/21/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

The plant food is called Espoma Organic Garden-tone Herb and Vegetable food.

I'm sorry to hear that Ruby ingested plant and vegetable food, and now has diarrhea.

What ingredients were in the fertilizer? (I don't need percentages so much as the main ingredients)

How much did she eat?

How long ago did she eat it?

I understand that she has diarrhea but how is she feeling otherwise now? Any nausea, or is she lethargic?

Typical fertilizer/plant food products don't contain herbicides.

None of the ingredients in most plant foods are truly toxic. Typical ingredients include high levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash, all of which can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more she ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see.

If she seems to have an upset stomach./nausea to settle her stomach you might want to give an acid reducer. At home you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel better. Either one can be given for a few days if need be.

You can with-hold food for 12-24 hours which will rest her intestinal tract and reset intestinal motions and help ease diarrhea.

After her food fast feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.

That should be all you need to do. And of course hide the fertilizer from her! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.

If she is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then she may need to see her veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
She jumped into my garden this morning and that is when she must have gotten a hold of it. I don't think she ate much, but I found the bag chewed open, so that how I knew. She seems fine other than the upset stomach. Those ingredients are correct, it also had Calcium, Magnesium and Sulfur. I will make sure to keep it out of reach from now on.