Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just ate an ale eating that I dropped on the floor,

She just ate an...

She just ate an ale eating that I dropped on the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Annie, 6 1/2 years old 60 pounds

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. What precisely did Annie get hold of { ale ? }?

One 220mg sleeve tablet
Aleve

Got it thanks, ***** ***** to carry out the toxicity calculation and then type up your answer ...

Are you there?

Busy typing up your answer, you will have it very shortly

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Due to the risk of gastric ulcers and kidney damage, many veterinarians will not recommend or prescribe naproxen to dogs due to the risk of toxicity. Where it is prescribed by a vet then the usual top dose would be 1.5 mg per pound of bodyweight meaning 90 mg in Annie's case so 220 mg is a clear overdose.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However, if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then given the nature of this drug it would be wise for you to contact a local ER vet without delay.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Annie's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Annie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Aleve...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
She is under the care of her vet, she spent the night on an IV and is doing well after throwing up the pill

I am so glad to hear she is doing well, and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott