Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 months-old Border Collie ate a few leaves from a

Customer Question
My 8 months-old Border...

My 8 months-old Border Collie ate a few leaves from a clarodendrum plant. within the last hour. I discovered this after she vomited a few leaves up. I now know that it is poisonous. What would you recommend that I do at this point?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the Border Collie ate?

She ate a few leaves from a clarodendrum plant within the last hour. I discovered this after she vomited a few leaves up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Border Collie?

No--she doesn't seem to be letharic, and she has stopped vomiting, but I cannot be sure she vomited all of the leaves she may have picked off.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Usually, with this plant this is not going to be such a serious problem, you may perhaps see a mild stomach upset but I would not expect worse than that unless very large quantities had been swallowed.

2. Given that your dog is acting normally now and the vomiting has stopped all you need do is to keep an eye on her for the next few hours, the chances are she will be just fine.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Border Collie's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you!!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the leaves from a clarodendum plant...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott