Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's right eyelid is swollen and red. No other symptoms.

My dog's right eyelid is...
My dog's right eyelid is swollen and red. No other symptoms. She was pawing at it earlier but I thought nothing of it. What should I do?
3/21/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Thanks.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I would say from your description that the most likely thing that your dog would be suffering from is conjunctivitis which is an eye infection sometimes called red eye or pink eye. Conjunctivitis in the dog is easy to spot, the whites of your dog's eyes will be red to some degree, the mucous membranes will be swollen and there may be a discharge in some cases which can be clear or green or yellow in colour. There are really two forms to consider.

A. Primary conjunctivitis: This is where the infection is in the eyes only, it is usually bacterial in origin although viruses and other organisms can be involved. It will usually respond quickly to antibiotic eye drops put in the eye two or three times a day for five days or so. This is common in the dog ...

B. Secondary conjunctivitis: This is where the eye problem is secondary to another disease process such as distemper. In these case, your dog will be showing other symptoms as well which would be likely to be of more concern than the eye discharge. This is more uncommon ...

Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the topic of conjunctivitis in dogs in more depth: LINK

2. My specific advice with any eye problem in the dog would always be to take her to your vet and have her checked out at the next opportunity, you cannot be too careful with eye conditions as they can sometimes quickly go badly wrong. However in the meantime washing out your dog's eyes { very gently } with lukewarm water would do no harm, however, if the diagnosis turns out to be conjunctivitis then prescription drugs such as antibiotic eye drops would be by far the best treatment.

3. As far as further home remedies go I have know clients resolve the issue in the case of mild uncomplicated conjunctivitis by irrigation the eye four times a day with cold tea. The tannin in the tea is a bactericidal agent you see.

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks, Doc! I'll take her in tomorrow if I can get an appointment.

No problem, very glad to be advising you and thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?