Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has not been her usual self at all. Starting about…

Customer Question
My dog has not...

My dog has not been her usual self at all. Starting about Sunday afternoon she chooses not to eat her dry food, even when mixed with wet food. She had also stoped pooping, and has become very lazy, almost as if she’s depressed compared to her normal hyper, jumpy, excited self. Today I tried to take her for a walk, her normal walks are 30 mins to and hour, but today she barely wanted to leave the door, she would walk very slow and took many stops only being outside for 20mins

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Grace, she is about 6 to 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grace?

I had recently gotten a kitten and before she stopped eating entirely she would eat both her food and try to go for the cats food

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Ok, thank you

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Grace is unwell, hopefully, this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check her over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and has lost her appetite makes me think that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in her age group although of course, other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case, I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Grace's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you. I just so happened to remember something though. Back in November she had a semanation done and most of the side effects of being pregnant and would’ve been due about a month ago, but still didn’t have pups. Before doing so I’ve never checked if she was capable of having pups. I was just rubbing around her stomach close to wear it would be her pup, and she began to whimper and growl. Could this play any part as to why she’s not feeling well?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Given the timescale, I very much doubt if what you are seeing is related to the insemination.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Grace is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her lack of appetite...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

We had brought her to ASC for an examination, when checking her uterus they had found an abnormal spot almost like inflammation, and wanted to perform x-rays, we decided to go see her regular vet tomorrow to do so tomorrow due to cost. They did give her an injection to help with the dehydration which has helped her bit. She still hasnt eaten anything though.

Thanks for the update, Glad to talk this over with you further ...

It is hard to know if the inflammation spot on her uterus is significant or not, please let me know what your regular vet says.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?