Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Mable our 8yr old beagle had a dental cleaning today. I gave…

Mable our 8yr old...

Mable our 8yr old beagle had a dental cleaning today. I gave her a pain pill (previcox 57mg.) About 5 min later, my husband gave her one also ( not knowing that I had just given her one). Should I try to make her vomit, or will she be ok with it, just really tired?

3/21/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually, it is fairly easy for a dog to overdose on Prevocox so it may be as well to induce vomiting as a precaution. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

2. However, if you fail to induce vomiting then what you can do is to put your dog on the likes of Pepcid for a few days, this drug { Which is a human over the counter drug } is very effective in reducing the likelihood of damage to the stomach lining. More information on how Pepcid is used in the dog including dose rates via this link: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Beagle's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Tina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I got her the Pepcid and have given it a few days now and she’s just fine! Thank you for your help!

I am so glad things worked out OK for her ...

Thanks for the update.

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian