Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had an ear infection and the vet scrubbed out her ears…

Customer Question
She had an ear...

She had an ear infection and the vet scrubbed out her ears and got rid of the yeast (but no pill antibiotics but some kind of medicine in her ears) but her third eyelids are still popping up and making it seem like she can't see anything. How long will this take to go back to normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Doris, 1 year old, FMD/Lab box *mix haha

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Doris?

She is 1

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

What is the main problem that Doris is having?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her third eyelids keep popping up over her eyes and she looks like she can't focus. we want to make sure this is normal with ear infections and determine how long it will last

Ok, that usually has nothing to do with ear infections at all.......

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with an ear infection
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they gave her medicine in her ears (yeast infection) but her eyes seem to be geting worst

Typically when dogs do this then usually there is diarrhea or loose stool present. The ear infection may be real but it does not have anything to do with the third eyelids.....

Protrusion of third eyelid is related to something else....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no loose stool or diarrhea

Then your dog needs a very thorough eye exam especially for anterior uveitis...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she doesn't have bloodshot eyes or red eyes

I understand.....but your vet has to look at eyes with opthalmoscope and rule out inflammation in front chamber of eye....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does a regular vet have that tool or is it an eye specialist?
they checked to see if the pupils were reacting and that looked normal

Yes, regular vet can check for anterior uveitis......if not get another vet...

Can I answer any additional questions or concerns for you?

are you there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think we should take her to the emergency vet tonight or could we take her to our regular vet in about 12-15 hours?

Is she eating and drinking? Is he urinating and defecating normally?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
evrything else is normal.

And you said she is 1 year old?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she is kinda coughing a little (like she is going to throw up but no throw up) so thinking it might be ear medicine dripping down throat?

ok, well unfortunately I cannot advise on what to do because I cannot examine her....but I can tell you that if her eyes are not red in the white part and it is just simply her third eyelid going up then chances are you can wait as long as she is eating, drinking and urinating and defecting. Is she lethargic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
maybe a little more than normal but not unable to get up and only sleeping

so she can get up? But she is sleeping alot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she can get up, she is probably sleeping 30% more than normal

If she is coughing I would have her seen tonight....the third eyelid is telling us something is wrong but not what is wrong....it is a sign not a diagnosis....I hope that makes sense.....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. B for you. Please note that otitis media (inflammation in the middle ear) can cause the prolapse of the third eyelids you're seeing. This prolapse is one of the signs of Horner's syndrome which describes a loss of sympathetic innervation to the eye. In these cases there is usually involvement of the ophthalmic branch of the trigeminal nerve nearby which is responsible for this symptom of Horner's syndrome. Other indications of Horner's that may be seen include miosis (smaller than norma pupil), ptosis (dropped upper eyelid, causing a smaller palpebral fissure/distance between the upper and lower eyelids), enophthalmos (the globe of eye resting further back in the eye socket), and absence of a blink reflex. Please let me know if you're seeing any of those symptoms. It would be prudent to ask Doris's vet if there's any evidence of otitis media - an inflamed or bulging tympanum (eardrum), mainly.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian