Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a standard poodle. He started acting like he was

I have a...

I have a standard poodle. He started acting like he was burping or hiccups one after the other and licking his lips. He acts like he wants to throw up every once in a while but nothing comes up. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No just normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Snickers and he is 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Snickers

3/21/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

How long has he been doing this?

About 2 hours and it will stop for a little while after ice chips are given to him

Can you go to Youtube.com and watch a video of reverse sneezing and verify that's not what he is doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdHAIhj2pCc

I’ll check
No that’s not it. His stomach is gurgling a little bit to

Okay, great, that helps. Do you have any of these: Prilosec, Pepcid A/C, Zantac

I have Prilosec pills

Okay, great. Give 20mg of Prilosec tonight. Then feed a bland diet tomorrow of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice and see how things go. You can give Prilosec once a day for a few days. Hope this helps! I have a standard poodle mix and I adore him. :)

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Are you there?

I gave him the pill and he coughed a couple times and a little white foam came out is that normal

That can be normal when pilling a dog. His stomach sounds like it is upset, so he may drool, might vomit, and will most likely have loud stomach sounds tonight. That will hopefully have subsided by morning.

Ok great thank you so much

You are so welcome! Please remember to rate my service so that I will receive compensation for assisting you today... bonuses/tips are appreciated. Good luck, and have a great rest of the day.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Ok you too