Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has vomited 4 times today and has had two episodes of…

Customer Question
My dog has vomited...

My dog has vomited 4 times today and has had two episodes of runny stool.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

He is new to us. We adopted him 3/14/18. We are giving him Science Diet like he is used to. He had vomiting and diarrhea at the MSPCA adoption center and was given Cerenia and metronidazole. on 3/6 and continued for 4 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Jax. He's a 12 lb Papillon mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?

He was neutered on 3/12. He recently had 1 year rabies vaccine and Bordatella. He was given .39mls meloxicam for two days.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

First, congrulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together. Little dogs can have a stress enteritis which likely occurred at the rescue and now at home, which can be delayed. If there is no change overnight please consider a veterinary evaluation to reinstitute the medications you listed. For tonight, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Jax comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian