Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She threw up some last night it's mostly clear with a little…

She threw up some...

She threw up some last night it's mostly clear with a little bit of grass in it she dug three holes this morning and threw up in the nose and it was clear with a little bit of foam in it. She normally eats as soon as I put her food out and she has not eaten all day today. She's very lethargic and her eyes look sad

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She was eating a stuck weed thing yesterday that I don't think she's ever eaten before

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Breed?

4- Weight?

5- Any diarrhea?

6- Any other symptoms?

She is a three year old black lab the only other thing she has going is when she got fixed it messed with her bladder so she takes one proin tablet daily to stop the urine leakage. She weighs 73 lb and I don't think there's diarrhea but I did find in the yard a couple piles of very different looking poop. I can send you a picture of the weed she was eating yesterday and I can send you a picture of the poop if that would help

1- Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?

2- How long since the last time she vomited?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm not sure when the last time she threw up his I don't see any evidence of new in the yard so I would say probably 10 this morning it's now 6:45 my time. I have not been here all day though so she may have thrown up and I just don't see it. I don't think there's any abdominal swelling but it's hard for me to tell
She is drinking water right now
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination by a veterinarian, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Strongly recommend having her checked as soon as you can in the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, she can continue to have water; leave her without food for 12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you. I will send another message if I have any more questions for now I'm going to get her some Pepcid

Fair enough.

You're welcome :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter