Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 1 year old half yorkie half maltese puppy. and he…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 1 year old half yorkie half maltese puppy. and he is swaying back and forth, and just seems out of it, and he is also sensitive to sound and seems almost scared of things that move, like opening and shutting the door, which is not like himself at all. we checked his gums and he does seem to be dehydrated. he is a rescue, and we adopted him at 4 months. he has had history of parvo and he is cured. and his kidneys are a little damaged from that our vet told us.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the Yorkie's name?

Boombah. he is still responding to sounds and seems awake every now and then. but still just seems out of it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boombah?

My husband also gave him a kiwi without the skin and seeds just for a treat as well. but other than that no

3/21/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

How long has he been like this? Has he urinated on himself or in the house since this started?

Also, how many people live in the house, and can you list their ages?

I started noticing this around 5 o'clock and it kept gradually getting more noticeable, especially with his swaying back forth and looking out of it. And no he hasn't urinated on himself or in the house yet.

Great. And how many people live in the house, and can you list their ages?

Are you there?

Just me and my husband. 26 and 23. We have another yorkie that lives in the house and he is 10 and he is acting completely normal. and he also had kiwi earlier too and go to the bathroom in the same fenced in yard.

Okay. This is marijuana toxicity. Does this jive with possibilities in your household?

(I asked about ages of people in the household because sometimes this becomes an awkward conversation when the dog has gotten into marijuana that the adults were unaware of, like in the room of a teenager.)

No i appreciate your help. Yes we do. we keep our stuff out of reach. And try not to ever smoke around them.

Okay. With little dogs, it doesn't take much. Often they will lick some ash off a back step, or lick a cashed bowl, or find a crumb under the coffee table after people were sorting/cutting/rolling. Sound possible?

Definitely sounds possible. we have been keeping track of his heart rate and it is still okay for now.

Okay. This was likely a small amount since you keep close track of things, so I would encourage water consumption and keep an eye on the heart rate. If there's a point where you can't rouse him, I would see a vet. In general, though, the pot works its way out of the system within 12-24 hours and as long as he stays hydrated he should be good. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Are you there?